Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Memorable Train Trip


When I was four years old our family travelled by train to New York state to visit my Dad's family. Even though I was that young I have vivid memories of that trip.

On the train I remember being in an upper sleeper bunk with my Dad. My sister, age 1, was with my Mom. While my Dad left me to go find more pillows I saw a button on the wall. Being a very inquisitive little boy, I pushed the button to see what would happen. And suddenly to my surprise a large black man in a porter's uniform appeared and asked what I wanted. My Dad was not far behind to see what was wrong. Fortunately I was not in too much trouble. I never have been able to resist trying things out to see how they work.

When we arrived I can still remember my Dad being so excited to see his family, since he had not seen them for about 10 years. He kept asking how soon they were bringing his Mother, and was so happy when she finally came.

The pictures shown here were taken by my Dad's brother Elias. My little Grandma is on the left. As a comparison my Mom (at the right holding my sister) was about 5'6" and looks tall compared to the others. My Grandma may have been small, but she had worked very hard, having 10 children, growing enough food to feed the family, as well as working in the field. She would have been about 78 in this picture, and lived to 88.

In the family picture I am sitting in front of my aunts and uncles, with some of my cousins beside me. My uncle took quite a few pictures of us including my "cowboy" pose. In the other pictures I look very serious and distinguished in my blazer and neck tie.

This was a very exciting and memorable trip, travelling across the continent by train, being able to meet my Grandma, and sensing my Dad's excitement at being there.

2 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

These pictures are seriously cute. I'm going to have to save them on my computer.

Teacher Lady said...

My favourite is the cowboy. I told daddy it should be his profile picture.